Monday, December 15, 2008

 

Caroline Kennedy

It will not come as a surprise to those that know me that I am AGAINST Caroline Kennedy for Senate.

I have no doubt of her intelligence. What I doubt is her public policy and legislative experience. Yes, I know of her work in education, which is to be commended. But New Yorkers know little of her positions outside of education. We also have no idea if she has the ability to work with others and be pragmatic to pass legislation.

She was a powerful backer of Obama, but I fail to see how this is necessarily a plus or minus. Yes, she has the backing of Bloomberg/Klein duo, but I don't see how this helps her win an election upstate. She is known to have a good work ethic, but campaigning town to town, county to county is an entirely different ballgame. I don't know if she can hold the seat in a general election.

If Governor Paterson wants to give Caroline Kennedy a shot, he can simply fill Clinton's seat with a placeholder. That way, Kennedy will have to compete for the Democratic nomination in 2010 on par with other possible contenders. By allowing her to fill the seat for the two years before a special election, he will allow her too great an advantage in the primary.

And rest assured, if Paterson does pick her and she isn't up to par, he'll have hell to pay.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]