Saturday, August 02, 2008


Yankee Stadium Subway Routes and Ticket Secrets

With a dear friend of mine going to the Yankee game today, I wanted to try a little subway experiment. A race between two subway routes to Yankee Stadium and see which one was quicker.

To give you an idea of what was going on, my friend lives in between the 79th and 86th and west of Broadway.

Standard practice for those who live in so said area is either to take the 1 southbound to 59th and transfer to the D (and take it up to Yankee Stadium) or to walk to Central Park West and take the C to 125th and transfer to the D*. Unfortunately, the 1 train wasn't southbound at either 79th or 82nd, so he had to take the C to 125th (the C wasn't running, but the A was running its route).

My belief is that strictly on the weekends, when the B is out of commission, a third route is faster. Take the 1 northbound from either 79th or 86th (I personally prefer 86th) to 96th transfer to the 2 (who switch lines with the 5 today), it's on the same platform as the 1, to 149th where you transfer to the 4 and take that to the stadium.

Well my route took probably around 25 minutes (give or take 5).

But alas, my plot was foiled. Turns out the D train going northbound was stuck somewhere well south of 125th street. So, my poor friend had to take a cab from 125th street.

But in better news, my newfound subway expertise came in handy today by helping at 7 people find their way.

Once I found my way to the stadium, I confirmed a past lesson and learned a new one in my quest to get a ticket to the Yankee game.

The new found lesson has to do with Stubhub.

For those that don't know, StubHub is a website which allows people to resell their unused tickets to future games. Unlike many other websites of similar nature, Stubhub is officially licensed by Major League Baseball (so much so that both the Yankees and Mets have ticket pick up places at their stadiums). Usually the prices at Stubhub start out at a ridiculous level (often double, triple, or even quadruple the face value). But if you think about it, what happens to unsold tickets as game time approaches?

If you are a seller, you would rather take a 20 dollar lost than a 60 or 70 dollar lost. In either words, if you aren't using the ticket, you want to sell them for something. So the tickets that were once selling for 150-200 dollars come to down to 40-70 dollars. So, you can usually get pretty good tickets, if you are willing to wait until the last minute to buy tickets.

The problem for me was they were only selling tickets in pairs of two or three... and I was by myself. So I couldn't buy a ticket.

So I went to the Yankee Stadium ticket window... and had an old lesson confirmed.

Repeat this mantra over and over again, no Yankee game is ever really sold out. They may say it's sold out, but usually, at least a couple (around 1000) will be available the day before a game. The reason? I'm not exactly sure, but the fan who sat next to me today, believes it is because those (1000) tickets are reserved for the family of players... and those that go unused are sold to the public.

The tickets range from the upper deck reserve (Tier) to the Field Box Championship (325 to 400 bucks no thank you). The problem is that the tickets come out at different times, so at some points only the upper deck maybe available. I usually strive for an in between seat (Main Reserve). Usually, I am able to exploit this system through Ticketmaster online. But unfortunately, Ticketmaster online went down after midnight.... so I was left without my vehicle.

But when I went to the ticket window at 3:50, they did, in fact, have "limited seating" in the Main Reserve. Jackpot.

And although the Yankees won and my subway route plan was left unsolved, it was a nice day in the end.

Two lessons learned and one to be continued...

*- Keep in mind the B, which travels along Central Park West and goes to Yankee Stadium at Rush Hours or at minimum travels along the D line to 145th street, doesn't travel on weekends.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]